Opelika woman dead, another injured after accident Wednesday | News
VALLEY, AL (WTVM)- An Opelika woman has died and another injured following a single vehicle accident on Wednesday morning.
The accident occurred on I-85 at mile marker 74 in the northbound lanes.
The driver, Charlotte Denise Harris, 49 years old of Opelika, was pronounced dead on the scene by Chambers County Deputy Coroner Tommy Sims. The passenger, Janice Marie Todd, 49 years old of Opelika, was flown from the scene by Life Flight to Columbus Regional Medical Center in critical condition.
Upon arrival, Valley police officers found the 2002 Ford Explorer had left the roadway and rolled over, striking several trees. The driver and passenger of the vehicle were extricated from the vehicle by East Alabama Fire Department units.
This accident is under investigation by the Valley Police Department.
Copyright 2012 WTVM. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Local university prepares for dangerous storms, builds shelters
- Ribbon cutting ceremony for new Children's Department at Phenix City Library
- Local 11th graders build playground for students with special needs
- Beer shoplifter pepper-sprays Piggly Wiggly employees
- Sgt. 1st Class Donald Wilson laid to rest